Sunday, January 4, 2009

Jan. 4, 2009

Well, I've already been busy with things of the new year. We're going to take down the Christmas decorations this week - I hate doing that - the house is so pretty with them. I'm getting ready for the last push to create work for my thesis show in July.
Grad school has been difficult - I would expect it to be so - if it wasn't I wouldn't be getting my money's worth! But it has also been one of the most fruitful and beneficial times of my creative life. If any of you are thinking about continuing your education and pursuing a MFA - go for it. I have so enjoyed the intensity and fellowship of being in a small group of artists working to achieve the same goal. The friendships that I've created during this program have been wonderful and the artistic comradery - both from the student and teacher perspective - have been equally gratifying.
The work I'm creating now is based on the totem idea, like Grace Totem and Weighted Down. I've been stitching Thai Bird's Nest paper (which is a wonderful paper if you haven't tried it). The stitching is reminiscent of a visual journey, one that is open to interpretation. These stitches are then covered with wax leaving them obscured. My concern is not so much that the viewer know that they are there directly but that the textures and presence of them is felt within the work. I like to play with things that are hidden and revealed and covering the stitches with the encaustic does just that.
I'm also playing with the format of the totems, changing it from a vertical one to a horizontal one. The idea behind them is similar but the final outcome might not warrant the name 'Totem'. I'll have to see how it develops. I love to work in an intuitive manner, not planning out everything in the beginning but letting the ideas flow as the piece develops. I've discovered that the artwork speaks and helps me to finish it.
Well, that's it for now. Until next time... Take care, enjoy, and God bless.

4 comments:

  1. Your work sounds amazing, and from what I know about you and your creativity, I'll bet it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks a bunch! I'll post more of my work eventually but until then, this is just a sample of what I do. I'll try and bring in some work to DB the next time I'm in... Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue -

    It's nice to see your work on-line.

    Perhaps you could clarify your idea and intent regarding the "totem" reference. I'm sure your audience would appreciate it. Most people associate that term with Native American artifacts.

    Later -

    Gary B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, GB. Sure thing... One of the definitions of totem is a marker or venerated emblem or symbol. Although I do not advocate venerating my artwork, they are markers or symbols of my prayer or times of contemplation. I can't really tell you all the time exactly what I'm praying about or the specifics of these prayers. All I know is that they come from my spirit and, I believe, led by the Holy Spirit. They are a form of visual prayer in a way. They become the totems once completed, the marker or symbol of the prayer. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete