Thursday, December 30, 2010

December 30, 2010

I had coffee today with a writer friend of mine and part of our conversation centered around an artwork of mine that was created in response to a very difficult time in my life. It is not a beautiful image - in fact, it is quite raw and violent. She described the work as beautiful. This surprised me as I did not think of the work as beautiful, in fact, I would not have used that word at all to describe the piece. She said that 'the beauty lies in the honesty of the work' and 'that was beautiful'.
I don't know if I have completely pondered that honesty is equivalent to beauty. There is truth to that statement. I've analyzed it with master works of art and know that art does not have to be beautiful in order to be powerful or effective. But the fact that something is honest to a certain extent, lends itself to being beautiful. Honesty is something that every artists strives for within their creativity. To not be honest is to create inferior work. Can we say that Picasso's, Guernica is beautiful? Yes - the use of the elements and principles of art and design are masterfully executed within the piece and the emotional content alone is powerful but there lies a beauty to the work even though it describes a horrific event. The same can be said for Goya's, The 3rd of May, 1808. I guess I never equated that to one of my works before.
Honesty and beauty do go hand in hand. Honesty requires us to look at our surroundings, no matter what they are, and derive the truth from it. It is so easy to diminish or temper the truth of a horrific event for protection - for ourselves or others. But to boldly state the truth of something that is difficult for us as humans to perceive, then that is where the true courage of an artist (or anyone for that matter) presents itself. I guess I would have to say then beauty exists within that moment or within that creativity. It requires us to take the good with the bad, to allow ourselves to see ourselves for what we are, what we are capable of, and then determine what we can become from it. This can spur both the good and the bad but when it spurs on the good, then we have risen from the ashes onto something much more glorious. There lies beauty, there lies truth, and there lies the human condition.
So, I'll leave you with this... Where is the beauty in your world? Can you find it in the most inordinate places? Will you be surprised by it and let it simmer in your soul? I hope so for today that happened to me!
Until next time... take care, enjoy, and G-d bless.

1 comment: